Monday, July 19, 2010

For all those times I said, "My kids will never..."

Life has been a whirlwind since we got back from vacation oh, THREE WEEKS AGO! Yikes. To say its been hard to get back into the swing of things is a major understatement. We returned home from the beautiful and blissful Atlantic Beach in North Carolina just in time for Drew to start his new position at a new location two days later. New title, new commute, new schedule, new co-workers. We're all adjusting, but he's loving it and we're so proud of him so who's complaining, right? :)
Fast forward to 8:00 this morning when Corrinne is beckoning me via the monitor because apparently she still hasn't caught on to the fact that everyone else in the house likes to sleep till 9 am. I'm sure a few of you are thinking wish I could sleep in till 8 every day and I do realize how lucky I am HOWEVER this was a mere 8 hours after Drew and I got home from pretending we were kidless newlyweds while running around Kings Island all day! Momma was exhausted. That exhaustion turned into frustration when I went to get some milk out of the fridge for my cereal to realize we had none. NONE. Zero milk in the fridge of a woman whose 2 year old drinks it like its going out of style. Not good. We were pretty much out of everything (hence the "its been really hard getting back into the swing of things" intro to this post.). So I figured, the kids are getting older, Corrinne's almost 1 now; I'm sure I could make it through one grocery trip with both of them alone. No problem. Got everyone ready (including reinstalling car seats, taking 2 tubs of size 12-18 mos. girl clothes out of the back of the car -- thanks, Aunt Ashley, and putting the double stroller back in) and out the door feeling optimistic about my first trip to the grocery store with both kids alone. (Again, I know there are moms who do this all the time. But I'm not trying to be a hero or win any Super Mom awards. I like to go alone and will usually wait until Drew's home, grab something lovely to sip on while I shop and turn the mundane task of grocery shopping into "me time". Its great!) Well long story short -- my kids were the center of attention and not just because they're so darn cute. Cash was putting random items in the cart, Corrinne was trying to chew on the strap that should have been around her keeping her safely in the cart while both of them took turns screaming at me and each other. While I'm trying to gracefully discipline my kids and pay for my groceries the 19 year old cashier commented on Corrinne's dark complexion, "How did THAT happen??", how persistent she was in pushing the buttons on the credit card swipey thing, "She's determined, huh?" and then left me with this gem, "I don't know how you do it! Props to you!". Customer service at it's finest. Needless to say I will be grocery shopping alone from here on out.
In other news, my sweet little bronzed beauty learned a new word from her big brother...it begins with an N and ends with an O. Thats right. My not-quite-one-year-old told me no this morning. Not cool.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Sounds lovely. Enjoy them and maybe avoid that cashier at all costs next time! :)