Thursday, May 5, 2011

Reflections of the way life used to be

Hola! In honor of Cinco de Mayo I will write this post entirely in spanish...

yeah, right. ;)

Ahhh, the 5th of May. Every year when the weather starts turning warm, leaves appear on all the trees and flowers start sprouting, my thoughts turn back to that fateful May in 2008 when my world turned upside down, in a good way. The year I became a mom.

I actually remember exactly how I spent the 5th day of May that year. I was 39 weeks pregnant, wearing a white maternity shirt that probably looked like it didn't fit (because it most likely didn't) as I met my parents for lunch at El Rodeo - to celebrate the mexican holiday, of course. I had stopped working early because I was carrying a child that measured 2 weeks ahead consistently through my entire pregnancy and every doctor I saw told me I would never make it to my due date. So of course each day was spent wondering if I would meet my baby that day... and crying when I didn't.

Each year I get weepy and nostalgic thinking back to those long two weeks spent waiting and anticipating the day it would finally happen. As I've watched him transform into this blur of a boy running - "flying" in his mind - through our house complete with sound effects I've longed to snuggle the newborn Cash just one more time. Or squish the chubby cheeks of our 6 month old Cash. Sometimes I just stare at him while he's sleeping because you can still see a hint of his baby face left.

I just want my babies to stay young enough that they still want hugs and kisses heal their boo-boos.

No comments: