Thursday, May 28, 2009

Memorial Day '09

A wise old sage once told me that camping is one of the most bonding experiences. 

Or something like that. 

(Sorry, Dad - you're not that old.) 

 Nonetheless, I married a mountain man, one who is wild at heart so when we have a free weekend, we camp. I'm sure there are those of you out there asking yourselves if you're reading the right blog..."Bethany CAMPS?!"  I'm told I  use the term loosely. I "camp" only when I'm promised a toilet I can flush, a faucet to wash my hands, and the option to shower (which I take!). No digging holes to go potty in, no sleeping in sleeping bags. I'll sleep in a tent as a long as I get to sleep on an air mattress in a tent. :) I'm sure Drew was slightly disappointed when realizing this quality about me AFTER we got married. (Sorry, babe.) 

(In my defense, I did go camping this last Memorial Day nearly 7 months pregnant WITH our one year old. I don't think an air mattress was too much to ask for...)

Anyways, we arrived to Spring Mill State Park around 5pm on Friday and got things set up. Our friends Matt & Jill joined us that evening along with Nathan & Penny on Saturday. We really had a great time. Cash, of course (seeing as how he's all boy) loved it! He ate rocks, skinned up those precious chubby knees (with me cringing the whole time), chewed on a stick or two, ate food off the ground, swam in the baby pool, played in the dirt, and went shirt-less half the time - he fit right in.  We had lots of fun enjoying each other's company and the great outdoors. Camping is slowly...but surely, becoming one of my favorite getaways. Although I did tell Drew - next time we're not bringing kids (inside or outside the womb). :) 


I didn't think it was possible to outgrow a stroller at 1, but I'm starting to wonder. 

The wilderness women: Penny, Bethany & Jill.

No comments: