Monday, August 30, 2010

What a difference 3 years can make

Three years ago today I took a pregnancy test and my whole world changed! I remember it like it was yesterday...

I was going to my friend's house to have her color my hair and was feeling really down. Drew and I had been "not preventing" (I was trying. Drew was having fun.) for a few months and I was getting discouraged. Even though I was 2 days late I was pretty certain I wasn't pregnant. Ironically that was the first thing I blurted out when I walked into Holly's house that night, "I'm 2 days late!", I said. She grabbed her purse and announced, "We're going to Walmart!". I kept refusing to take the test, but around 8:30 she finally convinced me since Drew was working late that night and I wanted to be home before him. Much to my surprise it was immediately positive! I yelled for Holly and she came bursting through the door, camera in hand, screaming and jumping up and down. I, however, just sat the test on the counter and stared at in disbelief. I kept thinking, oh my gosh! It works!
We determined when my due date would be (thanks to Baby Center's website) and tried to decide how to tell Drew he was going to be a daddy. When I got home I opened our Bible to Psalm 139 and highlighted the passage that says,

"You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother's womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous, how well I know it. You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the darkness of the womb. You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed. "

I placed the pregnancy test on the Bible with a note next to it that said, "We love you, Daddy!". It felt like an eternity had passed before Drew finally got home. I was sitting on the couch as I watched him walk into our room. I heard him say, "Whaaat?" Then he came out, test in hand, and said, "REALLY?" and the rest is history.

Here's that little second line today...




No comments: